28 Aralık 2014 Pazar

EXERCISES FROM PAGE 168


1. a) Not knowing the way, I got lost several times. (True)
b) After leaving the room, the telephone rang. (After I had left...)
c) Having lost my money, the conductor wouldn't give me a ticket. (As I had lost...)
d) While falling asleep, there was a loud knock at the front door. (While I was falling asleep...)
e) By forcing open the window, I was able to get into the house. (True)
f) Not wishing to be a nuisance, I left as early as I could. (True)
g) Having opened the box, it turned out to be empty. (When I opened the box...)
h) Though feeling tired, Helen went out clubbing with her friends. (True)
i) Having asked my name, I was taken to meet the prime minister. (After I had been asked for my name...)
j) On arriving the station, the train had already left. (When I arrived...)


2. a) Although feeling dizzy, Sarah managed to play on until the end of the match.
b) Being a powerful swimmer, George reached the island in less than an hour.
c) Without waiting for a reply, the mysterious stranger vanished into the night.
d) It being a Friday, everyone in the office was in a good mood.
e) While walking across the field, Kita noticed something glittering by the path.
f) Abandoned by its owner, the old dog sat by the side of the road.
g) Though shocked by what he had seen, Martin tried to keep calm.
h) There being no chance of escape, the two men gave themselves up to the police.
i) If using a fan-assisted oven, reduce cooking time by half an hour.
j) By signing your name here, you agree to the conditions listed below. 


3. Located near the equator, the Galapagos islands are a group of islands of the coast of Ecuador. Found by Spanish colonists in 1535, and first illustrated on maps in about 1570, the islands were rarely visited being a haven for pirates. Having developed their own specializations and escaped the attentions of predators common elsewhere, the Galapagos species had became unique and unafraid for people. Passing ships hunted seals giant tortoises. Once caught the tortoises were kept alive on ships for long periods and later eaten. After facing near extinction, few of these creatures remain today, visited by the naturalist Charles Darwin in 1835, the islands still have a close association with Darwinian theory. Being the home to many species isolated from the main island. Discovering later that birds which differed from island to island were in fact the same species, Darwin used evidence from the Galapagos in the development of his theory of natural selection. Now, protected as part of a national park, the island are popular with 'eco-tourists'. Efforts are continuing to save their wildlife.

Hiç yorum yok:

Yorum Gönder